[plug] Wireless Networking - Any Advice

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Tue May 15 12:22:22 WST 2001

> Can anyone advise on some appropriately priced and locally
> available (Aust) hardware that is compatible?
> I had a look at the Netgear access point and cards but seems
> like they have no drivers for Linux. Is this an issue or
> will they work?

Possibly not "appropriately priced", but I use:
server->hub->Apple Airport, all connected by Ethernet cable, and then
Lucent Wavelan pcmcia wireless cards for notebooks. Works a treat. Unless you
have an Apple computer handy, you need a (freely-available) Windows
program to configure the Airport. The Lucent cards run very happily under
Linux. All bought through Winthrop on the UWA campus.

I use this page as a guide when setting up; it has links to everything
else you need:
http://www.emvision.com/airport.html

There should be reasonably up-to-date links about this field on the Linux and
Wireless LANs page:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

Colin