[plug] [OT] bad news for QLD gov

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Tue May 15 16:36:31 WST 2001

In the Australian today:

	The Queensland government has signed a four-year $77 million software
	contract with a local consortium to provide Microsoft software across
	all government departments.

	The largest licensing deal signed in Australia by Microsoft, ...

	(page 28, IT section)

I'm pointing this out because linux in schools and government
departments has been the topic of conversation on this list many times.

In my opinion this is a pretty sorry situation. Surely a fraction of that
money could be put to better use by using open source software and employing
_Australian_ programmers/companies to fill the missing software gap, what do
you think?

Regards,

Jason Nicholls