[plug] two flavours of linux AND more newbie questions (still trying, still learning)

Ari Finander Outrider at operamail.com
Wed May 16 00:38:43 WST 2001

/boot was the easiest to iron out...just had to boot from the boot disk into
RH, uninstall lilo then reinstall the redhat version with the /etc/lilo.conf
updated  to allow me to boot either distro with one copy of lilo from one
partition as the distros had different naming conventions at for the tail end
of the vmlinuz-... name (the lilo version that was reported with I tried to
set up lilo to triple boot was later than the one in RH causing a fatal error
with the /sbin/lilo command, I'm assuming Debian did this as it was the last
of the 3 OSs installed).  I don't know how to get two versions of linux plus
windows 98SE to be bootable under lilo without sharing /boot as a separate
artition, or at least copying the vmlinuz... from debian's /boot to redhat's
/boot (or vice versa).

Regarding /usr/local...only root can actually write to this directory...which
means any software that I want all users on my system to be able to use (which
with my computer turns out to be virtually all the software) has to be
installed by the superuser, yes?  A while back on this list everyone was
telling me not to install software as the superuser (I'm not sure if any
reason was given for this caution, and it didn't seem to make sense to me
seeing as only superuser has write privs to /usr/local).  What are your
thoughts on this?

So far I'll be sharing swap (already) and /home (again, already doing this).
If /usr has turned out this badly (X lags and performs kinda oddly sometimes)
should I expect bad things from sharing /sbin too?  I'm actually making these
partitions as logical drives on an extended partition, and I'm assigning their
sizes arbitrarilly as I have so very little experience with linux I'm not sure
how big to make them (I'd love some input here, too).  I make the swap
partition 256mb (I have 192mb RAM, and want to go up to 256, so when I upgrade
I won't have to change the partition size for swap) and the /boot partition
100mb which should be generous even with two kernels, and I've made / smaller
than /usr as I think I'll probably be instally a lot of big things like
staroffice and java jdk into /usr/local.  (on a side note: when I update an
rpm say for security updates, where do these files usually go?  /usr? /sbin?).

I haven't compared space savings yet.  I just want to see if I can do this
first, especially because when I download an rpm for a program that I want to
make available under both distros I'd rather not have to do the .tar.gz then
compile thingy, which I've no idea how to do yet for anything.  I take it from
your response that /lib and /sbin prolly won't be good things to share for the
same reasons /usr is not a good share thingy?

TIA

Ari