[plug] grub

Wayne Pringle-Wood pringle at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed May 16 10:30:42 WST 2001

> After loaded, use mount to mount your / partiton in /mnt and vi to edit the
> /mnt/etc/passwd file. Erase the password field on the root line, which
> is the second field with about 13 strange characters between colons.
> Then, reboot.

Hrrm maybe i am on the wrong path or something, but when is /etc/shadow
built / rebuilt. I would of thought that if you change the password in
/etc/passwd  as above, /etc/shadow is not updated and thus when you logon
bash reads the password from /etc/shadow which still has the same passwd.

May be i am barking up the wrong tree, or the morning fog hasent cleared
yet. Does anyone know?

Thanks

Wayne