[plug] grub- different prob

Carl Gherardi gherardi at cs.curtin.edu.au
Wed May 16 11:28:35 WST 2001

I'm running mandrake 7.2, and was using grub as teh boot loader.

I added another hard drive to my system, added an entry to
lilo.conf(figuring grub was just a front end to lilo) ran lilo, and
suddenly i was getting a lilo boot menu on bootup.

This isn't particularly counterintuitive, and not really a problem, but
suddenly odd things started happening on my system.

1) Supermount stopped working.
2) When running xmms as a user it wouldn't load and when running it from a
command line xalf was timing out.

I have a couple of little anoying problems along htis line which is
usually fixed by suing to root and running.

Any suggestions as to why a switch from grub to lilo would give symptoms
like this?

Thanks

Carl