[plug] web access to PostgreSQL

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu May 17 10:09:43 WST 2001

Dear PLUG members,

A few weeks ago I raised a query about pgsql_perl5 and a compiling
problem.  That is now solved with a fresh (compiled-from-source) Perl --
there were a few .h files missing from the original installation.  So now
I've got it working.  Thanks to those who replied because this also raised
my awareness of other libraries / methods of access.  For the language I
have a choice including C, Perl, PHP.  Each of these has at least one
interface to the SQL database and to the Apache server.  Okay, here's the
query...

Does anyone know of a document (FAQ entry?) comparing these in terms of
performance, footprint and ease of coding?

I've hunted around without success so far.  For example, if using Perl, I
can interface to the database with pgsql_perl, related specific modules or
the DBI / DBD scheme.  My gut feeling is that the DBI / DBD approach should
have a larger footprint, perhaps be a bit slower because of the extra
abstraction but be easier to code and change database engines.  pgsql_perl
and similar offerings may be leaner and hungrier, at the expense of
"intuitive" coding and difficulty to swap database engines.  If I go PHP
instead.....?

Am I on the right track here and is there a description of the relevant
advantages, etc?

TIA,
Denis