[plug] web access to PostgreSQL

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu May 17 12:54:41 WST 2001

Thanks for the responses.

Simon's point about PHP being a designed-for language might carry the day
eventually.  What I am working towards is a replacement for several
cobbled-together, local-PC-only accessed MS Access databases.  I want to
show the Access users that a more professional, integrated, secure,
maintainable and flexible solution is possible under Linux.

Rather than writing all the code I want to be able to "teach others to fish
for themselves" and the attraction of being able to add <?php whatever ?>
statements to standard-looking HTML might be easier to understand for
comparative non-programmers.

I'd still like to know if there are any benchmark figures for the relative
performance levels of access under PHP and Perl/pgsql_perl or Perl
DBI/DBD.  Anything known?

Cheers,
Denis