[plug] OTish: RAID cards

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Thu May 17 13:31:18 WST 2001

Kevin Shackleton wrote:

> If someone does dare to respond, perhaps they could explain why the
> kernel etc even needs to know - I thought you paid all that money for
> RAID so that the card made it all look like one drive.

Well, often the RAID card is a SCSI card itself, so it has to be supported the
same as a plain SCSI card. eg; Our Dell boxes use AMI MegaRAID SCSI cards (Dell
call them PERC2/DC), which have their very own Linux driver.

What'd be even nicer would be tools to configure/test/monitor RAID-specific
properties of these cards from under Linux (which I haven't found yet for the
MegaRAID).

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :