[plug] Changing X driver - Mandrake

Ryan ryan at slowest.net
Thu May 17 22:31:55 WST 2001

I have a similar card and use the XF86_Banshee server available here:

http://ftp.linux.dct.ufms.br/software/drivers/video/Creative/

(and hundreds of other places)

It includes instructions how to use it ... basically it is a matter of
chucking it
in /usr/X11R6/bin/ and changing the symlink /etc/X11/X to point to it.
I don't know how this translates to Mandrake ... I speak Debian.

With X servers v4 and above I had DGA problems with various applications,
I swapped back to the SVGA driver and it all still works fine.  So the standard
SVGA server works perfectly with that card too.

I can send you all my mode lines from /etc/X11/XF86Config if you need.
I tweaked a few things to stop my monitor whining at me in 1280x1024 :)

Ryan