[plug] web access to PostgreSQL

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Thu May 17 23:37:26 WST 2001

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 11:17:28PM +0800, Beau Kuiper wrote:
> On Thu, 17 May 2001, skribe wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 May 2001 10:49, Jason Nicholls wrote:
> > >
> >  In my opinion however, why bother learning PHP which is more limited
> > > to web applications rather than Perl that can be used for almost anything!
> >
> > Almost anything, except write human readable code.  Perl resembles line
> > noise.  PHP is also much much easier to learn
>
> If you are careful with perl, it isn't too bad, still not as good as a
> good language, but not too shabby.

With respect to readability there are 2 issues:

1. providing an environment that *enforces* some degree of readability.
   This would be like a sliding scale with python toward the good end and
   Perl way down near the bad end ;)

2. whether the user endeavours to produce readable code.

Even with a language such as Python it's possible for people to produce
garbage. The bigger issue is 2.

> Plus modperl is very, very fast.

I second this.

Later,