[plug] web access to PostgreSQL

Mark Nold markn at enspace.com
Fri May 18 01:44:12 WST 2001

I've used Perl and PHP. PHP wins hands down with dynamic site development.
(even though i still love Perl for everything else)

PHP DB abstraction was mentioned (hi Steve) basically this is a must have.
(even if you just want to move from a ODBC windows test/demo box to a un*x
server with Postgress)

The main flavours of DB Abstraction are:

PHPLib (phplib.netuse.de i think) - the original but a bit aging now. Im not
sure how they have kept up over the last year or so.

Metabase - phpclasses.upperdesign.com -> never used it, heard some good things
about it.

PEAR DB -> PEAR is to PHP what CPAN is to Perl. This comes with PHP, and i
would suggest is the way to go.

Also check out www.phpwizard.net as they have MySQLAdmin (PHP MySQL Admin tool
.. duh..) and MyPGAdmin (mmmm...) this site is run by Tobias Ratschiller ( a
PHP contributor and Author). I have never tested either and i'd be super
security conscious if you put one of these up.

There is moves to make an inbuilt (ie: C module not Scipts) DB abstraction and
i believe it is currently available for Postgress and MySQL see:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.dbx.php

Another useful resource is www.phpbuilder.com one of the best PHP sites. There
was an recent interesting comparison of MySQL and Postgress... but i think
everyone has drawn lines in the Perl Vs PHP fight so i wont start that one....

mn

Mark Nold
markn at enspace.com
Senior Consultant

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.