[plug] Consulting

Jonathon Bates batesy at batesy.ii.net
Fri May 18 13:06:08 WST 2001

> Hi guys
>
> Im just wondering how the Linux consultancy game in Perth is going? Sooner or
> later Im gonna get sick of the finance game, and thought I might do my RHCE and
> break out on my own.
>
> I know small Linux consultancies are doing well OS and maybe even in the eastern
> states, but whats the linux take-up in Perth like? Small-Medium businesses that
> is?
> Any experience?

I can only go on from the jobs I have done in the past. There is a lot of
money to be made, from the SME market. The larger enterprises are more
likely to employ someone fulltime rather than on a consultancy basis.
The RHCE isnt going to be much help, just know your stuff and you should
be ok. The other thing you have to remember is that you will be going up
against really really bright people, that really really know their stuff.
Dont say to your clients that you can do something when in all reality you
cant, but saying that, all the SME's will really need is a simple network
server, so it wont be overly taxing!

Cheers
batesy
--
Jonathon Bates
batesy at batesy.ii.net
"Lord, grant that I may always desire more than I accomplish."