[plug] Consulting

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Fri May 18 13:35:46 WST 2001

	I want to get into Apache mod-PHP/Postgresql web-based application
development :)

	Yes, simple stuff earns the $$$s, but only if you can get them to
pay :)

	From:	Jonathon Bates <batesy at batesy.ii.net> on 18-05-2001 01:32 PM
	Please respond to plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	To:	plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	cc:

	Subject:	Re: [plug] Consulting

	>The RHCE was simply for interests sake, and 4 more letters after my
	> name :)

	Argh fair enough, but its not worth the paper its written on IMHO.
	But to the clueless (clients) it looks good! :p

	> 	What you said about not promising what you cant deliver is
true, and
	> holds true across all IT and not just Linux Consulting.

	Exactly, but I know of people going in gun-ho and then f**king a
whole
	system.

	> 	Bright people? Hopefully Ill survive with my IQ of 51 ;-)

	No when i say bright people, I mean people that are simply
brilliant, they
	know the OS inside out, something us meer mortals will hopefully
oneday
	acheieve :)

	> 	Yeh, the basic idea would be to provide a set of services
that I
	> *can* handle, while developing open source software to extend that
range
	> (and also enabling others to). A recent idea was to write a
smallish
	> application in NCURSES that would sit on a Internet Cafe server
and manage
	> time, cost etc.

	Yeah, thats the best way to go! Im wanting to get into the Postgres
-> CGI
	field. Basically writing task tracking systems, or internal ordering
	systems. Simple stuff that can make alot of money for the
consultant.

	> 	Are most jobs for 'Linux Box with Apache, file share and
print
	> serving'???

	From memory yeah! (I havnt done any consulting in a danm long
	time) :( Nice and simple stuff really!

	Cheers
	Batesy
	--
	Jonathon Bates
	batesy at batesy.ii.net
	"Love isn't an emotion or an instinct -- it's an art."

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com