[plug] Consulting

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sat May 19 19:18:38 WST 2001

On Sat, 19 May 2001, Mark Nold wrote:
> Its not dishonesty, but if you charge a decent amount, then make sure
> you give them excelent service. People (ie: clients) are funny like
> that they prefer to pay more if they have some guarentee's of support
> or just the fact that you'll be there next week (always a problem
> being a lone contractor).

I'm not sure how new this news is, but I saw an ad in today's West
computing section from Microsoft having a truce for pirated software until
the 30th June. It just seems too perfect an opportunity for somebody to
jump in and advocate Linux as a free reliable alternative. Charging a
small amount for consultancy or installation/configuration and it could
turn to be decently profitable - and not only that, it'd show the market
that there are other alternatives to the MS way.

> Anyway has anyone seen the Internet terminals in Bankwest? I was in
> the West Perth branch and it looks like some sort of Linux with
> Netscape on it. Quite nice. Not sure if they just point to a local
> version of the Bankwest site or not. Has anyone seen this anywhere
> else? Do you know what they are and can do?

They have the same at the BankWest branch in Bull Creek so I'm guessing
it's fairly standard around. I can't for the life of me remember what was
accesible from it though, it was a few months ago. Didn't seem to attract
much interest at the time - the queue was long, and nobody was remotely
interested in it.

Regards,

Bernard.

--