[plug] Apache & htpasswd

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Sun May 20 17:39:03 WST 2001

Hi Everyone,

I have a slight problem.  I'm trying to migrate a web server that has a
section requiring usernames and passwords.

Both the old and new server are setup to use this in the same way (the
htaccess), except that the new server does not verify any of the
username/passwords from the .htpasswd file copied from the old server.  I
have added new user/pass pairs to the new server and they authinticate.  The
old entries in the file do not.  I believe the old file is in a 3DES format
(been told), but don't know what the new one is in (?)

Does anyone know if there is a directive in Apache and/or htpasswd to
dictate verification method on this level ?

.. or anything else that could be wrong because I'm lost.  I have searched
through the apache docs but haven't found anything that could be relevant.

Any help appreciated.

- Brian.