[plug] Compile new Kernal

Robert Andrews squirrel at emerge.net.au
Sun May 20 20:16:46 WST 2001

Hi Beau
I am still to much a newbie to get into debate of packages I probabley will
not have to download the files required to fix my problem I have quite a few
versions of Linux on hand
packaged on cd's from the local newsagent.
And the debate about which Linux version is best will probably be going on
for many years to come. I know I could easliy upgrade to say RedHat 7.1
Debian or something similar in fact I have these on hand as I type.
However If I simply reinstall the latest operating system I will have learnt
very little about Linux itself and my goal will have been lost.
Although I am useing Redhat I know that you do not need to install software
via rpms but for me and many others it makes life a little simpler. However
I do not want to be restricted to useing only rpms.
I am quite prepared to go to whatever lenght is required to fix my problem
in fact I always look forward to the challenge and the greater learning.

So back to my problem do I need to replace the entire  libc.so.6
or parts of it and if this is the case what version do i need for a 2.4.0
kernal
And will I still be able to use my  2.2.12-20 kernal if i run into another
problem.

Thanks regards Bob Andrews.