[plug] newbie, adsl, and linux internet sharing queries

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Sun May 20 18:11:47 WST 2001

> No - Don't connect the ADSL modem to the hub. Read this:
> http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/2001-05/msg00140.html
>
> In it's simplest form it boils down to firewalling/compromising
> your entire network, or firewalling/compromising 1 machine
>
> Set up a gateway machine with two NICs - 1 for ADSL in
> from the modem and 1 for ETH out to the hub for the rest
> of the machines to leech off.

Correct me if I am wrong here (I haven't seen any ADSL modems yet so I don't
know about there port configuration), but you will need to use a crossover
cable to connect the PC NIC to the ADSL modem.

Someone please correct me if the ADSL modem ports are switchable (I would
hope so).

Michael Hunt
An Aussie in Africa.