[plug] Compile new Kernal

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Sun May 20 23:52:47 WST 2001

G'day,

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 02:49:06PM +0800, Beau Kuiper wrote:
> Now this poor person is going to have to download 15 or so megabytes of
> libraries to update a program that was only a few 100 kilobytes in size, just
> so the RPM manager stays happy.

Well that's probably _one_ valid solution. Another way is to
download the source RPM and do:

	rpm --rebuild modutils-2.3.20-1.src.rpm

	(or whatever the source RPM file is called)

The resulting RPM will usually be located in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/.
Note you can also specify the target, eg:

	rpm --rebuild --target=i586 .....

In this case the result(s) will be in the .../i586 directory instead.

> Sorry to reignite the flamewar, but I just couldn't resist it ;-)

... but it wasn't necessary in this case ;)

_perhaps_ there is some extra requirement that this version of modutils be
built against a particular version of glibc. However, it's more likely the
binary RPM he downloaded just happened to be built against that version hence
the requirement.

I'm still using RedHat 6.2 and whenever I see some updated package
(often a RedHat 7.1 package/update) then I'll fetch the src RPM and rebuild ;)

Have fun people!

Jason Nicholls