[plug] newbie, adsl, and linux internet sharing queries

Ari Finander Outrider at operamail.com
Sun May 20 00:33:13 WST 2001

It looks like we're going to be getting adsl (with two students needing to use
the net at the same time and requiring good sppeds, there's not much other
choice here in Perth aside from spending hours each week in wasted time while
pages load).  I want to upgrade our LAN to Cat5 so that it will be easier to
get both computers (and sometimes an old laptop with ethernet docking station
running RH6.2) online at the same time.  I'm looking for feedback on my plan:

New Hardware Requirements-
1. 8 port 10mbs ethernet hub (will any brand do?)
2. Cat 5 cable to connect machines to the hub
3. A 486 to run a firewall for the network

I envision having the adsl modem hooked up to the hub, having internet data
going through the 486 (also attached to the hub), and having the other two
computers attached to the hub and being online at the same time.  Does this
sound like a realistic impression of what it will take?  Does the adsl modem
hook up to the 486, then the 486 goes to the hub, or does each computer AND
the modem hook up to the hub?  Does anyone have any old cabling that they're
getting rid of, or an old hub (after playing with linux on all thos eold 486s
and selling them off, I now wish I'd kept just ONE *argh*).

TIA,

Ari