Other 2.4.4 stuff (was Re: [plug] Kernel 2.4.4 and accessing *some* SSL web sites.)

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Wed May 23 10:31:58 WST 2001

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 08:27:38PM +0800, James Bromberger wrote:

> Has anyone had any intermittent problems with accessing some HTTPS web
> sites (port 443)?  I have a pair of linux boxen (Debian, naturally) both
> of which have the 2.4 kernel series on them (as I described last week
> when I was looking at PPTP, which turned out to be my local firewall
> at home *cough*). I can't seem to telnet to port 443 on some web servers,
> yet surprisingly the hosts behind the masquerading firewall I am
> trying to get working have no trouble at all if they attempt to connect
> to port 443.

I haven't had this particular problem but I have had a whole lot of
weird things happen with 2.4.4 that didn't happen with 2.4.3.  For
example, when I walk away from my machine and the screensaver comes on
(xscreensaver I think), when I come back and log back in the system
freezes for a couple of seconds (like what normally happens when you get
the password wrong) and then returns me to the session as normal.

Another problem is when I select the reboot or shutdown options from the
GDM menu, the gdm program itself dies but X doesn't and I'm just left
with that default X11 grey screen.  The system doesn't half or reboot at
all and I have to log in manually and do this.  If I reboot with 2.4.3
then it works as normal.

Anyway experienced anything similar?

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C