Other 2.4.4 stuff (was Re: [plug] Kernel 2.4.4 and accessing *some* SSL web sites.)

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Wed May 23 11:31:17 WST 2001

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 10:31:58AM +0800, Christian wrote:
> I haven't had this particular problem but I have had a whole lot of
> weird things happen with 2.4.4 that didn't happen with 2.4.3.  For
> example, when I walk away from my machine and the screensaver comes on
> (xscreensaver I think), when I come back and log back in the system
> freezes for a couple of seconds (like what normally happens when you get
> the password wrong) and then returns me to the session as normal.

I have exactly this with 2.4.4, on two quite different machines (PIII
with Matrox G400, and Celeron with i740). They didn't run 2.4.3, they
both went from 2.2.something to 2.4.4.

> Another problem is when I select the reboot or shutdown options from the
> GDM menu, the gdm program itself dies but X doesn't and I'm just left
> with that default X11 grey screen.  The system doesn't half or reboot at
> all and I have to log in manually and do this.  If I reboot with 2.4.3
> then it works as normal.

kdm on one machine and gdm on the other don't show this behaviour.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
The hieroglyphics are all unreadable except for a notation on the back,
which reads "Genuine authentic Egyptian papyrus.  Guaranteed to be at
least 5000 years old."