[plug] newbie, adsl, and linux internet sharing queries

Ari Finander Outrider at operamail.com
Wed May 23 18:33:04 WST 2001

>I believe so but I would stay away from adding extra nodes to you coax and
>just try and make everything utp. It will save you lots of headache in the
>long run and cost wise it is not much more.

This was my original plan: buy hub, buy cable, everything happy happy :-)

However, this raises a question: can utp and coax connect to the same network
card if it's capable and at the same time??  I thought if I were to use
twisted pair I'd have to either buy a hub or install 2 cards on some
machines...

>Okay connecting one machines NIC to another machines NIC with no hub in
>between is easy./ You just need to use a special cable called a crossover
>that "crosses over" (hence the name) certain transmit and receive pins. If
>you then want the desktop machine to communicate with the rest of the
>network then you will need to enable some form of routing which not all OS
>support. What OS do you run on the desktop machine ?

One will be running Win98SE, the Other RedHat 7.0, Win98SE, and Debian 2.2r2
at different times of the week.

>One other alternative is to by a hub that also has a coax connector and then
>you can use it as a bridge and not have to worry about second NIC's routing
>etc. You will have to put IP_Forwarding and IP_Masquearading on the 486
>though.

So with that type of hub, I don't have to buy so much extra utp cable as I can
still use my coax, and then have the laptop plug into the hub from cable in
different rooms, right?

Ari

The Fastest Browser on Earth now for FREE!!
Download Opera 5 for Windows now! Get it at
http://www.opera.com/download/