[plug] DNS problem

Steve Baker sbaker at icg.net.au
Wed May 23 20:10:19 WST 2001

Hi list,

I have a server running DNS, everything resolves perfectly locally.  It is
configured with it's own A record, plus 2 or 3 CNAME's that point back to
it.  (It's actually the only server in the domain).

The problem seems to be that when I point nslookup to another nameserver
outside our network, then ask that server to resolve the one of the local
CNAMEs, it fails.  If I then ask to resolve the real host name it succeeds,
then if I ask for the cname again it now resolves: it gives the real host
name, the IP address, and shows the requested cname as an alias.

So, the DNS server at my end seems to be responding to requests properly,
but why can I not just query the cname without having to query the real
address first?  Seems to defeat the purpose of cnames...   Any ideas?

Just in case it's important (?) I'm running a sub-domain in a regional
office of my company, where our primary domain is hosted by another
nameserver, and my local sub-domain is delegated to this server.  I've also
access the local nameserver directly from outside the network via nslookup,
and it resolves everything properly.

bakes
--
Steve Baker