[plug] DNS problem

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Thu May 24 13:37:12 WST 2001

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Ryan wrote:
> As long as you make a tld and correctly qualify it in bind it will
> work internally as if it was a real domain.

Okay, kinda on the topic, I've done exactly that here with a few machines,
running all with the domain of .home. A while ago I recall being told or
hearing somewhere that .home will soon be a TLD, along with a few others.
Doing some further research I figured they were bluffing about the .home
bit, but there are some more proposed TLDs, that you'd want to stay away
from when choosing your domain name.

http://www.icann.org/tlds/

So far there's .aero, .biz, .coop, .info, .museum, .name and .pro. Either
way, if you use a TLD that's fairly unique (perhaps not like .home) then
you'll be more future-proofed.

If you need any help setting it up, there's heaps of info about setting up
DNS servers on the net, (bind.org is a good start) or I can send you my
config offlist as a sample.

Regards,

Bernard.

--