[plug] From potato to woody

Fabrício dos Anjos Silva fasilva at dpi.ufv.br
Sat May 26 05:40:38 WST 2001

    Hi all,

    I have a Debian potato machine and I want to upgrade to the testing
release (woody). I am willing to download anything that is needed. So,
how do I do this?

    It seems that I don't have to install everything from scratch.
Instead, all I have to do is to modify my sources.list file (below) and
change stable for testing.

deb http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian-security stable/updates main
contrib non-free

    The third line is a problem, since there is no testing/updates
directory on the server. Just comment it? Should I change anything else?

    After changing this file, I run apt-get update and then apt-get
upgrade. Is that all?

    And what about that dist-upgrade option? Do I have to use it?

    Thanks,

--

Fabrício dos Anjos Silva <fasilva at dpi.ufv.br>

Computer Science Undergraduate