[plug] From potato to woody

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Sat May 26 11:13:32 WST 2001

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 05:40:38AM +0800, Fabr?cio dos Anjos Silva wrote:
>     Hi all,
>
>     I have a Debian potato machine and I want to upgrade to the testing
> release (woody). I am willing to download anything that is needed. So,
> how do I do this?

There are much more knowledgeable debian people about, but I'll have a
go at answering anyway.

>     It seems that I don't have to install everything from scratch.
> Instead, all I have to do is to modify my sources.list file (below) and
> change stable for testing.

Yes.

> deb http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian stable main contrib non-free
> deb http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
> contrib non-free
> deb http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian-security stable/updates main
> contrib non-free
>
>     The third line is a problem, since there is no testing/updates
> directory on the server. Just comment it? Should I change anything else?

My guess at this is that since woody hasn't been officially released,
there is no need for updates.  Just comment it.

>     After changing this file, I run apt-get update and then apt-get
> upgrade. Is that all?
>
>     And what about that dist-upgrade option? Do I have to use it?

I think you have to use dist-upgrade.  "man apt-get" says that
dist-upgrade handles changing dependencies with new versions of
packages, which are a certainty going from one dist version to another.
upgrade just installs new versions of what you already have, which
sounds right, but probably isn't.  eg what if the package names of the
gnome packages change, or some things get split into multiple packages
that were all in one package before.

Beware that this will probably want to download several hundred
megabytes.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
CCI Power 6/40: one board, a megabyte of cache, and an attitude...