[plug] ximian mess

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat May 26 07:30:28 WST 2001

I have used gnomecc, doorman and tried the installer.  Whilst I now have
a usable system, the root cause is still there.  When configuring the
desktop originally, I selected a second "window" (in enlightenment) This
appears to have overlaid another window manager over the first, thus any
configuration seems to effect the top layer only.  Symptoms are the
original desktop (and applications) flash into view on statup, and then
dissapear when the second instance runs.  A ps auwx shows two processes
for everything including gdm, though only one login appears.  Selecting
another window manager within gnome makes no difference.  From some
reading, multiple desktops and multiple windows (their terminolgy) in
this situation are different - with a note about how most X systems use
a virtual desktop whilst what I selected is a true second desktop
overlaying the original - and no details how to back out!

BillK