[plug] IP Forwarding problem

Steve Vertigan vertigan at bigfoot.com
Sun May 27 16:52:47 WST 2001

Phillip Steege wrote:

> I cannot get IP forwarding to work.
> I have two machines pappo1 (linux) and pappo (windozeME) on 192.168.0.2
> and 192.168.0.1 respectively.
> My linux gateway (redhat 7.1 system Linux 2.4.2-2 kernel) has a "1" in
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward and it is also in

Forwarding, in itself, is only useful where you have a legitimate
network address for the computers you're forwarding for and as far as
the internet is concerned 192.168.whatever isn't.  I think what you want
in this case is 'IP Masquerading' or NAT.
I can't give you the exact syntax for the 2.4 kernel as I've only done
it with 2.0 and 2.2 and afaik 2.4 has a different setup again, but if
you do a search on either of those two terms plus 2.4 you should find
plenty of examples.

> I can access the web, through the gateway,with Internet Explorer from
> the WinME machine, but mail or ping or tracert doesn't work from the
> windoze machine??

At a guess it sounds like you have a web proxy on the gateway like
squid, either that or you do have NAT working and you have a selective
firewall running but it seems strange that either of these would be
installed without your knowing about them, did you set this machine up
yourself?

Regards,
Steve

--
FreeBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org 3.4-STABLE i386
 4:40PM  up 6 days, 20:41, 2 users, load averages: 0.02, 0.11, 0.07