[plug] Linux, Oracle, Palm oh my...

Mark Nold markn at enspace.com
Mon May 28 01:39:43 WST 2001

Thanks,

It turned out i didnt quite have the IR port setup right (or possibly it was
the older version of irda-utils i was using) after a bit of reading and muckin
about i got it all sussed...

What i found was:
1) The IRDA howto is out of date,
2) which has spawned heaps of mini howto's which some are now missing or also
out of date (a tad confusing)
3) the included doco is sparse
4) and the software is very quite on the error front.. running irattach
unsuccessfully, looks just running it successfully. (unless ofcourse you do a
ps -ef | grep ir, but i'd really recommend looking at dmesg to find out what
really went wrong)

In brief what you need is:

ircomm, irtty, irda modules all compiled with the kernal. (they came with RH7.1
as modules.. this is good)

Some info in /etc/modules.conf

The irda-utils http://sourceforge.net/projects/irda/ (click on the Files link
to get the most recent)

just run irattach (irmanager is not needed nor is the advice to set heaps of
ENV vars that people recommend you set)

next i used KPilot (with KDE2.1) and everything was sweet.

I can post some more details if anyone is interested... the actual process is
quite simple but there is a bit of missinformation arround (like how do i work
out my dongle_id ????) the biggest problem i found on my laptop was a IRQ
conflict with the PCMCIA lan card and the IR port.

mn

Mark Nold
markn at enspace.com
Senior Consultant

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.