[plug] From potato to woody

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon May 28 10:18:05 WST 2001

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Russell Steicke wrote:

> There are much more knowledgeable debian people about, but I'll have a
> go at answering anyway.

And you are correct

> > deb http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian-security stable/updates main
> > contrib non-free
> >
> >     The third line is a problem, since there is no testing/updates
> > directory on the server. Just comment it? Should I change anything else?
>
> My guess at this is that since woody hasn't been officially released,
> there is no need for updates.  Just comment it.

Or leave it in pointing at stable

That way if a package that exists in both potato & woody with the same
version has a security update for it you will benefit from it.
Unlikely, but it doesn't hurt to leave it in.

> I think you have to use dist-upgrade.

Yes, use dist-upgrade for the reasons you mentioned (changing package
names etc)

Be aware that because woody is unstable, things are likely to be broken
For example, when I upgraded my work machine to woody, amongst a few other
programs inetd broke.

 - Matt