[plug] 1. Meetings 2. Firewall

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Mon May 28 13:57:57 WST 2001

On Mon, 28 May 2001 13:43, WFerrara at vicpark.wa.gov.au wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Sorry if this is not the correct approach - but I only subscribed
> today.....
>
> 1..Can you advise when the next CLUB meeting is?

Tonight.

Details of our meetings are here:

	http://plug.linux.org.au/plug/eventcal.php

For further details about PLUG check out the web site:

	http://plug.linux.org.au/plug/

> 2..URGENT.  As a non-experienced Linux convert I want to know if I can use
> Linux for a secure firewall instead of purchasing a fortune in hardware and
> software.  We have an NT-based network with modem dial-up to Internet.  I
> am about to design and connect to the Internet via a permanent (static-IP)
> ADSL connection and need to protect the system.

Disclaimer: I'm not a security person.  Take my advice with a large pinch of
salt.

My answer: Most definitely.  There are a number of security links available
on the web site (Weblinks -> Security) that should get you started.

Hope that helps

skribe

--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

All I've got left on the list of desirable vocations is heiress to the
throne of any country in Western Europe and Laurie Anderson.  "Be
practical", was the choral reply from the dinner table.  Well, Laurie
Anderson is already Laurie Anderson, but I read an article in Harpers
that said there were eleven countries, in the world this is I think,
that have queens as sovereign rulers.  That's probably my best shot.