[plug] 1. Meetings 2. Firewall

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon May 28 14:00:33 WST 2001

On Mon, 28 May 2001 WFerrara at vicpark.wa.gov.au wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Sorry if this is not the correct approach - but I only subscribed today.....
>
> 1..Can you advise when the next CLUB meeting is?  I am a new convert to
> Linux, and I would like to join the Linux club.

The very next meeting is tonight at UCC checkout
http://www.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/aboutucc/images/map.gif for a map.

> 2..URGENT.  As a non-experienced Linux convert I want to know if I can use
> Linux for a secure firewall instead of purchasing a fortune in hardware and
> software.  We have an NT-based network with modem dial-up to Internet.  I am
> about to design and connect to the Internet via a permanent (static-IP) ADSL
> connection and need to protect the system.

Reply you certinaly can use Linux to firewall off your LAN from the INternet.
If the distribution of linux you are using comes with version 2.2.X of the
kernel you need to use a utility call ipchains.  If the distribution of linux
you are using comes with version 2.4.X of the kernel you need to use a utility
call iptables (you can use ipchains aswell BUT iptables is better).

HTH

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein