[plug] 1. Meetings 2. Firewall

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Mon May 28 13:53:12 WST 2001

	1. Check the website, plug.linux.org.au... I think there is a list
of meetings there

	2. yeh, linux rocks at this sort of thing. I have a small lan
connected to the internet via ADSL on a P100 with 24M Ram, and it falls
asleep doing it. You can use IPCHAINS to secure your server, and there are
plenty of sample scripts to help you along (I dont recommend just running
one and saying 'There, Im secure' though... it requires thought)... The box
can handle IP Masquerading for you (so all the machines, for all intents and
purposes, are on the internet) or deny local machines access except through
a web proxy, such as Squid. With a permanent IP and ADSL you could even host
your own smallish website. Linux will also handle port forwarding for you,
if you want to run services available to the whole world (such as ftp or
www) on machine(s) other than the firewall.

	Check the IP-Masquerading, Port Forwarding HOWTOs. Im not sure where
the ADSL doco is, Im sure someone will know.

	In short, welcome, and yes, Linux does it all. Its a fantastic
journey and, while not always easy, is great fun along the way.