[plug] Debian CD's covers and Computer Science courses

Darrell Horrocks darrellh at kpbg.wa.gov.au
Wed May 30 08:38:05 WST 2001

Fabríico dos Anjos Silva wrote:

<SNIP>

>Message 2
>
>    I have already studied 2 years and a half of Computer Science (not
>in Australia) and I intend to continue my studies for one more semester
>here in Perth. My doubt is about which university to choose. It seems
>that the two best ones are UWA and Curtin. Since there are some students
>from these universities on the PLUG list, I would appreciate if you
>could send me your opinions about the university in which you study. I
>want to know how theory and pratical issues are balanced, if you think
>the course is well organized, what do you think about the professors and
>how informal and funny is the studying environment. Your opinion will
>help me a lot.

Oh dear, could this be another flame war on offer?  Rather than
Redhat-v-Debian-v-Mandrake it's now UWA-v-Curtin-v-ECU (otherwise known
as Enid Blyton for those of you who went to UWA ;-) )

Of course IMHO applies.

Having gone to ECU and studied CS there, I can whole heartedly recommend
this as a very practical university, particularly at later years,
although why you want to study Ada at the lower levels never ceases to
amaze me.  The lecturers are usually pretty dry, but very informative
and generally willing to help students outside of lectures/tutorials and
workshops.

I also believe that their Software Engineering course is very good
(second hand info).  High level programming with a VERY practical whole
year project in the final year (this STILL gives my friends that have
done this nightmares).

That's about it.  I did a minor in computer science, with a major in
Biol.  Anyone else been through ECU and can give a better view?  You can
even disagree if you want ;-)))

Fabríico, it may also be better if you gave an idea about what you
wanted to study.  If you want to study CS, and become and academic, UWA
is probably going to be the way to go.  Purely because of the amount of
funding for PostGrads that they have.  If you want to become a manager
then Curtin may be better because of links with Business.  Or ECU if you
want more practical courses.  It's all horses for courses really. <I
can't believe I just said that>.

*Flame suit on*

Regards

Darrell