[plug] Debian CD's covers and Computer Science courses

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Wed May 30 08:55:52 WST 2001

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 11:41:10PM +0800, Fabrício dos Anjos Silva wrote:

> Message 2
>
>     I have already studied 2 years and a half of Computer Science (not
> in Australia) and I intend to continue my studies for one more semester
> here in Perth. My doubt is about which university to choose. It seems
> that the two best ones are UWA and Curtin. Since there are some students
> from these universities on the PLUG list, I would appreciate if you
> could send me your opinions about the university in which you study. I
> want to know how theory and pratical issues are balanced, if you think
> the course is well organized, what do you think about the professors and
> how informal and funny is the studying environment. Your opinion will
> help me a lot.

I've studied at Murdoch University since 1995 and would generally
recommend its CS programme.  It's generally a good balance between
theory and practice and I've heard from various people in industry that
this is one reason why some ask specifically for Murdoch graduates.
Murdoch's biggest advantage though is probably the flexibility it gives
you to combine different units and programmes so it gives you the
opportunity to customise the material that you learn.  The general
atmosphere at Murdoch also tends to be more friendly and open than my
experiences (and from things I've heard from others) than some of the
other unis.

Of course, everyone is probably going to just praise their own uni so I
don't know how much you can trust any of the answers you get to this
question. :)

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C