[plug] Debian CD's covers and Computer Science courses

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed May 30 11:00:18 WST 2001

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Fabrício dos Anjos Silva wrote:

> Message 2
>
>     I have already studied 2 years and a half of Computer Science (not
> in Australia) and I intend to continue my studies for one more semester
> here in Perth. My doubt is about which university to choose. It seems
> that the two best ones are UWA and Curtin. Since there are some students
> from these universities on the PLUG list, I would appreciate if you
> could send me your opinions about the university in which you study. I
> want to know how theory and pratical issues are balanced, if you think
> the course is well organized, what do you think about the professors and
> how informal and funny is the studying environment. Your opinion will
> help me a lot.

What comes below will probably offend someone.  I;m not interested in starting
a flame, just want to give Fabrício my opinion.

Curtin:
Personally I did the better part of a CS degree at Curtin.  There are a lot of
good people at Curtin, but unfortunately there are a lot of bad staff.  I
recently left Curtin because of my bad experiences there.

Murdoch:
Honestly Christian is the only person I've heard say anything good about the
CS program at Murdoch.  I've had friends go through Murdoch.  They found the
content lacking and the lectures uniformed.

UWA:
The only people I know that went through UWA are Pluggers they'd be better
placed to talk about UWA.  Having said that from what I've seen of the program
I've recommended it to my Bosses son.

ECU:
Basically, I'll echo what Darryll said ECU is good at hands on.  Several
friends have completed degrees from ECU (at the time they were looked down at
from other uni goers)  All of them have been moved to the eastern states and
have good jobs.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein