[plug] firewalls on 486

mickey gards1 at iinet.net.au
Thu May 31 17:27:01 WST 2001

Gavin Corfield wrote:
I personally just installed SmoothWall on my old 486 (after reading of
its existence here on the PLUG mailing list), and I'd have to say, as a
firewall, its brilliant. The install was a breeze (download a tiny 23meg
.iso CD Image and burn it, (or mount it via loopback i guess) ), and
detected my big old 3Com Etherlink III no worries. The distribution
includes easy to use masquerading, firewalling, most other -ing you'd
want really, and best of all can be accessed via web browser (it runs
its own httpd), because you dont really want to bother with a monitor
and the whole shazam. You can probably get smaller more efficient server
(there distributions that fit on one or two floppies for example), but
for my 486 (8megs of RAM, 210meg HDD) it seems perfect.

A formidable task, bah! to that. :), any dummy can do it (especially if
I managed).

http://www.smoothwall.net

for the .iso image as well as easy to understand documentation (PDF format).

Good luck, (but you wont need it).

Mikey.