[plug] firewalls on 486

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Thu May 31 05:18:17 WST 2001

> Gavin Corfield wrote:
> I personally just installed SmoothWall on my old 486 (after reading of
> its existence here on the PLUG mailing list), and I'd have to say, as a
> firewall, its brilliant. The install was a breeze (download a tiny 23meg
> .iso CD Image and burn it, (or mount it via loopback i guess) ), and
> detected my big old 3Com Etherlink III no worries. The distribution
> includes easy to use masquerading, firewalling, most other -ing you'd
> want really, and best of all can be accessed via web browser (it runs
> its own httpd), because you dont really want to bother with a monitor
> and the whole shazam. You can probably get smaller more efficient server
> (there distributions that fit on one or two floppies for example), but
> for my 486 (8megs of RAM, 210meg HDD) it seems perfect.
>
> A formidable task, bah! to that. :), any dummy can do it (especially if
> I managed).
>
> http://www.smoothwall.net
>
> for the .iso image as well as easy to understand documentation
> (PDF format).
>
> Good luck, (but you wont need it).
>
> Mikey.

Or a floppy disk could be the way to go with Freesco
(http://www.freesco.org/). Does everything above, but fits it all on a
single floppy disk. The Linux Router Project is good too, but when I tried
it a year ago its set-up was quite a bit morecomplicated than Freescos easy
interface. Once I found Freesco I never looked back.

Michael Hunt
An Aussie in Africa.
Certified Freescoite !!!

(Now I'm not knocking SmoothWall, just plugging Freesco *g*).

Freesco Forever (Sorry it is late here).