[plug] RH7.1 kernel rebuild boot problem

Paul Dean paul at canningcollege.wa.edu.au
Thu May 31 09:05:13 WST 2001

Hya,
At 10:48 AM 30/05/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>I am building this on a Pentium 233.
>As far as copying, I verified the file date/time of the bzImage file
>so I know I am copying the latest created image.

ok.

>I did not set processor options.  I assumed that when I do a kernel
>rebuild, the make file uses the current .config file and just updates
>it from the additional entries I am making.

you will need to set your ARCH(second option in menuconfig)

>Is that correct, or a bad assumption ?

mmmm...never assume, always check, remember "think Linux works for me, not
I for it"

>In the future, once I have one working, I will save my kernel config
>files so I can return to a previous build.

this is ok, but you may need to update your .config file once in a while
for new features.

I found it is better to try and start from scratch each time, while keeping
a "backup" copy, helps you learn building and understanding kernels more.

<snip>

/***** Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a
mistake when you make it again.
Franklin P. Jones *****/