[plug] RH7.1 kernel rebuild boot problem

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu May 31 09:44:43 WST 2001

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Paul Dean wrote:

> this is ok, but you may need to update your .config file once in a while
> for new features.
>
> I found it is better to try and start from scratch each time, while keeping
> a "backup" copy, helps you learn building and understanding kernels more.

Nahhhh thats what make oldconfig is for.

try this next time
cd /usr/src
mkdir configs
cp linux-`uname -r`/.config configs/config-`uname -r`
<install kernel sources/patches>
cd <new kernel tree>
make mrproper
cp ../configs/config-`uname -r` .config
make oldconfigA
make dep bzImage modules modules_install

Then you'll ONLY get prompted for the new options

I agree that you _can_ learn more about the kernel by building your config
from the ground up.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein