[plug] firewalls on 486

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Thu May 31 09:09:18 WST 2001

	welcome to the power of linux :)

	I love success stories, and happy campers :)

	From:	mickey <gards1 at iinet.net.au> on 30-05-2001 05:29 PM
	Please respond to plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	To:	plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	cc:

	Subject:	Re: [plug] firewalls on 486

	Gavin Corfield wrote:
	I personally just installed SmoothWall on my old 486 (after reading
of
	its existence here on the PLUG mailing list), and I'd have to say,
as a
	firewall, its brilliant. The install was a breeze (download a tiny
23meg
	.iso CD Image and burn it, (or mount it via loopback i guess) ), and

	detected my big old 3Com Etherlink III no worries. The distribution
	includes easy to use masquerading, firewalling, most other -ing
you'd
	want really, and best of all can be accessed via web browser (it
runs
	its own httpd), because you dont really want to bother with a
monitor
	and the whole shazam. You can probably get smaller more efficient
server
	(there distributions that fit on one or two floppies for example),
but
	for my 486 (8megs of RAM, 210meg HDD) it seems perfect.

	A formidable task, bah! to that. :), any dummy can do it (especially
if
	I managed).

	http://www.smoothwall.net

	for the .iso image as well as easy to understand documentation (PDF
format).

	Good luck, (but you wont need it).

	Mikey.

	> Hi all,
	>
	> Thanks for views on email clients.  I'm looking at setting up a
firewall
	> on a 486 box.  Being a 486 I'm told I dont have pci slots but can
get
	> older NIC's.
	>
	> I appreciate that I have given no details but I want to have an
idea of
	> how formidable a task setting this system up is likely to be.
	>
	> gavin

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com