[plug] MSBackup and password (OT)

Mark Nold markn at enspace.com
Thu May 31 13:31:31 WST 2001

http://www.lostpassword.com/backup.htm offers such a tool for $45 US

Or you could create a few backup files yourself with the same data but
different passwords and have a look at it in a Hex Editor (for Windows i use
www.ultraedit.com for this sort of stuff) and see if it just prepends some sort
of header and is not really encrypted.

You can download a demo and confirm it works by bringing back the first letter
of the password. Try creating your own backup onthe same system to confirm this
realy works, or it may even give you a hint of the password.

mn

Mark Nold
markn at enspace.com
Senior Consultant

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.