[plug] Telstra Sat

Kim Covil Kim.Covil at csiro.au
Thu Nov 1 14:30:27 WST 2001

Not sure about Telstra's service... I have WestNet's Satellite service
running through my linux gateway... the routing is asymmetric... data
goes out via the ppp device (exactly as per the usual dialup link) but
comes back through the satellite device... this requires turning off
spoof detection on the satellite link as you will be getting packets
with the wrong address coming through the interface...

The card Westnet use is a Telemann SM200D PCI card... which came with
drivers for Linux... (some 2.2 kernel modules and a 2.4 kernel module
which I managed to insmod -f to make it ignore the version number)

My gateway behaves as it normally does as far as protecting the internal
network... but as satellite broadcasts are a shared medium anyone can
listen in on what is being sent to your dish with the right hardware...
so you can't make the same security assumptions you do with a dialup
system...

Hope that helps,

Kim

Kim Covil - CSIRO Exploration & Mining  E-mail:  kim.covil at csiro.au
,-_!\
            PO Box 1130, Bentley,       Direct:  +61 8 6436 8638    /
\
            Western Australia  6102     Fax:     +61 8 6436 8555
*_,-._/
        Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at covil.com.au