[plug] Telstra Sat

Kim Covil Kim.Covil at csiro.au
Thu Nov 1 14:47:07 WST 2001

True... but my understanding is that to listen in on a phone line you
need to get access to the physical line at some location... or access to
an exchange...

To listen in on a satellite transmission you just need a dish and a card
that isn't so picky about only listening out for stuff aimed at your MAC
address...

Plus it is a little harder to listen to a modem conversation which talks
at a lower level of electrical pulses than listening to a satellite
stream which must talk at a higher packet level due to the fact that it
only goes in one direction...

At least that is my understanding... if someone knows better I would be
glad to know... :)

Cheers

Kim

Kim Covil - CSIRO Exploration & Mining  E-mail:  kim.covil at csiro.au
,-_!\
            PO Box 1130, Bentley,       Direct:  +61 8 6436 8638    /
\
            Western Australia  6102     Fax:     +61 8 6436 8555
*_,-._/
        Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at covil.com.au