[plug] Telstra Sat

Nathan Alberti nathan.alberti at broadlogic.com
Thu Nov 1 22:04:43 WST 2001

The main security on a Satellite data links which do not use encryption is
known as "MPE" or Multi Protocol Encapsulation. This basically relies on the
fact that no two cards have the same MAC address, therefore encodes data
destined for "You" with your satellite cards MAC address, this is done at
the IP Encapsulator (uplink) . It is however possible to assign a new MAC
address to most available satellite cards which would then allow you to grab
data destined to the MAC address you have programmed into your satellite
card.

So...it's pretty easy with the right tools...most cards can be set with a
MAC of FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and hear all they need to know....all you need now
is a PID and a transponder frequency on your favorite satellite...I suggest
Optus B1 but PAS2 and PAS 8 are also good.

BTW..there are a couple of others offering satellite for home users who do
not use Hughes gear, give Access1 or Austar a go.

Regards,

Nathan Alberti