[plug] [OT] Work

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Nov 1 16:44:43 WST 2001

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 16:14, Simon Scott wrote:
> Never worked with SCO (well, a little, seemed like an underpowered
> Linux to me), but Unix is Unix is Unix :) It wouldnt be a problem.
You wish...
I'm ok when it comes to linux, but SCO is a quirky, ugly, brittle dog of a
thing that I hate to touch with a barge-pole - and its running a
mission-critical app that won't run on any other form of UNIX as its a SCO
XENIX binary and SCO OpenServer 505 is the most recent unix with XENIX binary
compatability. No, we don't have source to the app *ARRGGH*.
Whatever happened to iBCS/ABS anyway?

SCO, in my experience, breaks if you do something like press "back" on a
config script, "no, let me change xyz", etc. It uses a http man server which
just goes down every day or two and has to be restarted manually. Config
files are all over the place, undocumented and uncommented, and often not
human-editable anyway (so-and-so is auto generated. don't edit. and no I
won't tell you where the f**ing config utility is).

SCO was the first *nix I ever used and the fact that I liked _it_ says
something about the power of the core unix design since I was a mac/windows
user previously.

> 	Never *heard* of Plain English, but archaic languages are my Forte
We need someone who knows it and knows it well, as the accts & bookings is
written in it and its an undocumented ugly mess of spaghettt-code in a
constant "alpha" devel stage, with fixes layered upon fixes, and nary a
comment to be seen. Oh and the developer of it, my ex-boss, left the county
six months ago :-(
So if you don't already know the language, ye be fooked.

When something goes wrong, we're fooked but I haven't found anything to
replace it yet and we can't afford to commission a new project from scratch.

Sorry I can't help you out...