[plug] scsi problem

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Sat Nov 3 23:44:27 WST 2001

"Darren" <dylnx at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Hello  Im having a problem installing a scsi card and a couple of hard
> drives.the card is a buslogic bt-542b and the drives are conner cfa540s
> the system has a pri master ide drive and a sec slave ide cdrom.once the
> card and drives are connected the system boots ok detecting the ide
> drives as normal.the scsi starts its boot process it detects both conner
> drives and assigns 0 and 1  to these drives it then displays bios
> installed successfully and the system hangs i have tried with another
> scsi card and it does the same.any help would be appreciated Thanks
> Darren

This might sound obvious but have you changed the BIOS settings to reflect
that you want to boot from SCSI (I assume this is what you are trying to
do). You need to make sure that both the mainboard and SCSI card BIOS
reflect the same settings as far as boot device goes otherwise you have a
conflict and therefore a potential hang situation.

If that is not it, I would try other putting the SCSI card in other slots
and see if it is not an IRQ sharing problem. Also remove any other cards
(i.e. ethernet, sound card etc) at least while you are trouble shooting.
Check that you are also running the latest version of your mainboards BIOS
as there have been some difficulties with recent VIA chipsets

Hope all this helps.

Michael Hunt