[plug] scsi problem

Darren dylnx at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 4 18:10:55 WST 2001

On Sat, 2001-11-03 at 15:44, Michael Hunt wrote:
> "Darren" <dylnx at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>

> > Hello  Im having a problem installing a scsi card and a couple of hard
> > drives.the card is a buslogic bt-542b and the drives are conner cfa540s
> > the system has a pri master ide drive and a sec slave ide cdrom.once the
> > card and drives are connected the system boots ok detecting the ide
> > drives as normal.the scsi starts its boot process it detects both conner
> > drives and assigns 0 and 1  to these drives it then displays bios
> > installed successfully and the system hangs i have tried with another
> > scsi card and it does the same.any help would be appreciated Thanks
> > Darren
>
> This might sound obvious but have you changed the BIOS settings to reflect
> that you want to boot from SCSI (I assume this is what you are trying to
> do). You need to make sure that both the mainboard and SCSI card BIOS
> reflect the same settings as far as boot device goes otherwise you have a
> conflict and therefore a potential hang situation.
>
> If that is not it, I would try other putting the SCSI card in other slots
> and see if it is not an IRQ sharing problem. Also remove any other cards
> (i.e. ethernet, sound card etc) at least while you are trouble shooting.
> Check that you are also running the latest version of your mainboards BIOS
> as there have been some difficulties with recent VIA chipsets
>
> Hope all this helps.
>
> Michael Hunt

Thanks Michael i actually want to boot from the ide drive for now and
just use the scsi drives as storage.i have adjusted the bios to boot
from the scsi drives, system still hangs,i also deselcted the ide drives
and tried again  same.i have moved the card to other slots with no luck
and removed sound card ,i guess ill have to try the bios update .thanks
again
Darren