[plug] Which is the best option to dial up to ISP with Redhat 7.1 as a server to allow LAN access?

Aaron Ong/SIN/Lotus Aaron_Ong at lotus.com
Mon Nov 5 11:03:30 WST 2001

Hi,

My intention is to connect my Linux PC (Redhat 7.1) to an ISP to allow my
PC to work as a gateway for both the PC (family member to use) and my
Notebook via LAN to access the Internet. The LAN would be using Internal
IP (9.xxx etc), I know it is possible but I am not sure what would be the
easier and most reliable way to get it going. This PC is dual boot Win98
and Redhat 7.1, and I do not face problem dialing with Win98 but having
problem with RedHat.

I have a few questions:

1.      Which is the best option to dial to ISP via Redhat 7.1? I am not
sure whether any script is required as I do not need to specify using
Win98 dialup.
I have tried the RH Dialer but seems like I have to remove modem and add
modem again for it to dial out correctly. Even though I have configure the
modem many times the next time I boot up the dialer does not dial the
modem even though the graphics show that it is trying to connect. Recently
I tried to use KDE and I notice there is another dialer ... or maybe there
are other ways of dialing that would make it more reliable.

2.      Once I solve the dialing issue, I am assuming I can make it the
default gateway and the rest my home LAN should be able to access the
Internet. Is this correct? any advice/experience will be appreciated ... I
believe other have the same idea and may have one working well for them.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Aaron Ong