[plug] Which is the best option to dial up to ISP with Redhat 7.1 as a server to allow LAN access?

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Nov 5 11:30:44 WST 2001

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Aaron Ong/SIN/Lotus wrote:

> 1.      Which is the best option to dial to ISP via Redhat 7.1? I am not
> sure whether any script is required as I do not need to specify using
> Win98 dialup.
> I have tried the RH Dialer but seems like I have to remove modem and add
> modem again for it to dial out correctly. Even though I have configure the
> modem many times the next time I boot up the dialer does not dial the
> modem even though the graphics show that it is trying to connect. Recently
> I tried to use KDE and I notice there is another dialer ... or maybe there
> are other ways of dialing that would make it more reliable.

Hmmm that sounds bad.  Can we get more info about the machine, and the modem.

> 2.      Once I solve the dialing issue, I am assuming I can make it the
> default gateway and the rest my home LAN should be able to access the
> Internet. Is this correct? any advice/experience will be appreciated ... I
> believe other have the same idea and may have one working well for them.

Yes on the Linux box you enable ip forwarding:
	echo 1> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
	You make the eth0 ip = 192.168.0.254/24
the actual IP is mostly irellivant as long as it is in the private IP range.
then on all the LAN workstations set the IP appropriatly:
192.168.0.1....10.  Set the default gateway to 192.168.0.1 (the IP of the
linux box).

Also use ipchains to do masqurading.
ipchains -F
ipchains -X
ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -j MASQ -i ppp0 -A forward

You will certanly want to be more picky than that but that should get you
started.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein